Friday, February 5, 2016

Waging War on Prejudice


When a sex video goes viral not just on the social media site but with the individual phones as well, it is always anti-women. The victim is either a woman or a child.

I am not interested with the "scandal" issue here in town as some (even teachers for crying out loud!) ogled on the video of an alleged college student from a local university, I was in deep thought what have become of the capacity-building activity I had with the educators to be child-friendly. Are the provisions on R.A. 9262 being cascaded to the public servants or ignorance simply prevails? I heard comments from people giving prejudice to the woman and nary a comment from the man who could be filed with statutory rape since the girl is allegedly a minor.

I have been asking around if local legislators regulated the "boarding houses" in the municipality for who could be accountable of such crimes against women? Violating their rights of privacy could be a good discussion in the legislators' hall. But then again, they might be busy with their early campaigns.

If the woman consents having sex with someone, does she deserve to be videotaped and be ridiculed by others? What about the man who probably was the one who initiated the whole event? We could not put the blame on him? What is it in our culture when we put a lot of respect to men even if most of them are weak enough to rear a family? And what is the state of mind of those peeping toms who recorded the sexual escapades?

Recently, I visited the detention center of the BJMP to spend some time with an inmate who doesn't have a family. Drugs. As I listened to the different MO's on how to deal methamphetamine, I was scandalized to hear stories of some guys allowing the girls to hit some "shabu" for the girls to endure hourly rounds of kinky sex. Of course, I could scream on the gals for consenting but whose intention was it?

I might sound as an all-out feminist but I'm not. I respect a lot of men who excel on their work and who are responsible enough to be real men. What I am questioning is that stigma on females who seems to be the only person to be blamed when infidelity and sex videos appear. It takes two to tango, you know.

With these gender-sensitive times, we must look at the equality of sexes. We must not marginalize women and children for they are also human beings: prone to commit mistakes like that of men. It would take a lot of education and tons of books to read I know, but we could start from a vantage point of reason and simple psychology.

Parents should also be aware of their children's rights. If I am the parent of the girl, I would wage war against the system. I need to face the shame and seek for justice. Why? It is simply because my daughter is more important than shame. I might not have a perfect family and outstanding parenting skills but NO ONE has the right to push me and my family towards something we do not deserve.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment