Thursday, September 18, 2014

Just did it!






                                           (photo: Nike.Basketball)
While doing choreography, I would rant on the technical aspects of the dance: Promenade must be executed well! Point your toes while on a kick! Find your center! Perfection on the pas de deux…

But, basketball?

There are times when I could feel the tension of the TV viewers on the NBA games and would sometimes hear some curses after one lost a bet. I don’t question their passion for I understand being passionate into something. I often talk about the very good cinematography of Nine Inch Nails’ “A Perfect Drug” music video and would see blank expressions from my companions. I could go on and on describing the work of Mia Michaels and Travis Wall and will be brushed off by my friends. That’s why I understand myself when I ward them off as well when they talk about how the Spurs’ victory affects them.

I was then pushed to the world of basketball when our brother got hooked with it. I thought it was just another “phase” since he was into dancing, tennis, badminton and even strumming the guitar (which incidentally brought me to Cebu’s Carbon Market and scourged the good guitars from the Queen City of the South)… I would be irked when he misses tasks in favor of shooting baskets.

He then insisted on buying basketball shoes so not to injure his feet. First, I ignored the request since I thought that any rubber shoes would be OK. It was when I insisted on the use of the proper ballroom shoes to a pair of dancers when I realized the point of buying the right shoes for him.

Lately, I went to Cebu again for a friend’s wedding and got the time of my life as my sister and I went to a shoe store and the two of us were amazed on the kaleidoscopic colors of these basketball gear. She shrieked in horror as I tried fitting on a pair with comic strips printed on the pair in neon colors!

I also realized that signature shoes like that of Lebron and Durant have their own colors that allowed us to see a different side of fashion and function. I was fixated on that green ensemble from Lebron but then again my sister raised hell not to consider the color since our brother is into earth tones. How the hell would he manage to sport a look with shoes similar to a “katsila” (bettle)?

In the end I bought a KD for myself and a Lebron for the sibling. When the bill came, we thought we were on dreamland. We could’ve bought a ticket for Singapore for such amount. But then, what matters most is the affection we nurtured with each other.

Life is short. Just do it!



No comments:

Post a Comment