Saturday, September 3, 2016

Shrapnel

                                                  (photo: rappler)
Fourteen lives were spent as the bomb exploded in the night market in Roxas, Davao City. The president declared a State of Lawless Violence in the country and the Armed Forces so with the PNP are now roaming the parts of the country waiting for the president's instructions. This is not a time to panic according to the Palace and the Veep also told us to stay calm.

Amidst the president's War on Drugs and the discourse on the alleged extra-judicial killings, the Abu Sayyaf has to meddle and make a name for themselves since they must put up a good fight against the offensive staged to them by the military. As if the beheading that they did to some tourists was not enough, they must do the only thing they're good at: give terror.

The Filipinos who are still warring on their political beliefs and "die-hard" supporters of the elections flooded insensitive commentaries on social media accusing both sides of the terrible bombing. There are those who blame the president and there are those who are irked with such that they rant back with their full-support forgetting the pain the bombing gave to the families and to the country in general.

When I checked my phone early this morning, the news feed was infested with the sad incident in Davao. What came to me first was worry about the well-being of my friends, relatives and former students who are there. Then, I felt the pain of those persons whose loved ones were killed. I know that they are asking for the "reason" of the death of their loved ones. What if this happened to one of my cousins or siblings? God forbid!

What has become of our country? This was the next question to visit my thoughts as I reflected on the things happening lately. I was shocked to realize that some of my acquaintances are into drug-dealing. There are even teachers and school heads who are being closely-monitored by the police since they reek of unexplained wealth... Then, there are the killings and the brouhaha on human rights violations and the mud-slinging in the legislative areas.

I grimace on the thought of having kids in the school who are products of dysfunctional families and who could be considered amoral since they could not draw a line between what is good and not. I am scandalized by the thought that there are adults who pose as professionals who are engaged in the drug trade. I worry about friends who are leaving their families since they think that leaving their their kids fulfills their happiness. Then, the bombing.

Of course it could be unhealthy for me to dig deeper on these things and find messianic solutions. Still that question lingers.

All I could do is to pray. I don't have the background on political science but I understand human nature, I believe that grief is being experienced by the people who are affected by the terrorist act. I know that our psyche as a people is being stained with anxiety as well, A concerted effort to do good and dwell on the positive side must flourish. This is the secret of successful lives.

But then, I could not help but to get angry. I have yet to define what I'm angry of. But I know that blaming and pointing fingers do not help. As an empowered person, I must do the things expected of me and create ripples.

No comments:

Post a Comment