Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Curtailed

(photo: abs-cbn.com)
We have committed the Golden Rule to memory: Let us now commit it to life.
- Edwin Markham
I have a student named Kian. He frequents the office for he belongs to this group under the office of the principal who creates campaigns on the programs and thrusts of the school. Together with his companions, they do photo shoots, tarpaulin designs and talk about pop culture to be used in mainstreaming the school events.
Kian is 16. He plays basketball and he spend time playing online games as well. He has big dreams to be a person who will help his family experience good things in the future… What if he was the Kian who was shot dead for allegedly “running” drugs?
One of the teachers in the Senior High School filed a leave of absence due to a death in her family. I dislike to shortchange the students that I opted to handle the subjects for a week.  When I looked at her teaching load, I realized that the subjects are within my area of control. There is Physics, Earth Science, Organization and Management and English for Academic and Professional Purposes. The Physics thing was easy since I taught the subject for fifteen years and Earth Science was majored by me in college. OM is my cup of tea since my post-graduate schooling is all about Management. I taught practical aspects in dealing with the subjects by integrating tools and mechanisms for learning to take place.
English is another story. The competency I was underscoring was to create opinions based on facts. The boys taking up Electrical Installation and Maintenance groped for words that their thoughts were hampered. So I decided to use a matrix of ideas using the mother tongue and mentored them on how to convert the ideas into English when they are going to write the opinions already.
The springboard idea for formulating opinions was: Why Kian?
I was focused on the technical stuff that I was taken aback when I heard the opinions later. Most of them aired out their sentiments on the value of life and the effect of the boy’s death to his family. I told them about the allegations about him being a drug pusher and runner yet there was one who said: Is it enough to kill a young person?
One learner said about the disparity of the rich and the poor. According to him: Why must the poor ones be the persons hunted by the police and not the rich kids? I followed-up the statement by asking what kind of society do we have when the rich seem to be always right?
Contrary to my belief that majority of my learners are not into creating stands; that they are mostly concerned about their emotions, I was proven wrong. This is probably because of their access to information and different media sources…
A deep reflection then arrested me: How could their opinions and ideas be translated into action? It is so numbing to feel that majority of the people in our communities are feeding into indifference…
The news is full of stories about Kian and how his parents raised their voices so that justice is going to be served. There are high-profile politicians airing their support to the plight of the family and his friends. The president himself said that he will not condone to the police if proven foul. Social media sites are also full of differing sides that there were instances that taking sides seem to be their point.
The main point here is TRUTH and JUSTICE. This is not blaming the president or the political leaders who are waging war against drugs. This is all about our humanity being put at stake. The value of life must be considered for the policemen also have family members as well. What if it was the other way around?
I will continue to raise awareness to the learners on societal problems since I still have around two days left. When I do a summative assessment, I will require a portfolio of ideas, slogans and journal entries for them to realize that learning is always geared towards living a good life.
When I reached my office, Kian was there waiting for me. There was something that he’d like to know. I did not hear him well. Instead, I asked him: What if it was you, Kian?

No comments:

Post a Comment